现在线上人数 232人
2024.05.17 19:58
第十二部 第叁课: whatever floats your boat , up a creek
- Larry 和李华正在讨论星期六要干什麼.李华呢要去逛街,但是 Larry 想去打篮球.今天李华会学到两个常用语: whatever floats your boat 和 up a creek。
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- Larry,我真的很想去逛街嘛!这个週末在购物中心有大特卖哎!
- I don't understand why you like shopping so much, but hey, whatever floats your boat.
- Boat?你在说什麼啊?我是想去逛街买衣服,不是要去乘船玩啦!
- No, "whatever floats your boat" is an expression. Whatever floats your boat means that you should do whatever you like doing. It also implies that everyone likes to do different things.
- 哦~, whatever floats your boat 就是说你爱干什麼就干什儿,而且啊,还有每个人爱好不同的意思.好,那我星期六要去逛街!
- Fine then. You should do whatever floats your boat. However, I think I'll go play basketball instead.
- 行,你想去打篮球,那就去吧! Whatever floats your boat!
- I guess we won't be spending Saturday together. We could still meet for dinner, though.
- 没问题,晚上一起吃晚饭,那~,你想去哪儿吃饭呢?
- I don't have any preferences. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me.
- 真的吗?由我来决定去哪儿吃饭啊?
- Yep, the decision is yours.
- 嗯 ...,这样啊,哎!我们能不能去学校附近那家新开的泰国餐厅?我朋友告诉我,他们的菜很好吃喔!
- If that's what floats your boat, then it's fine with me.
- 好,没问题.那我们星期六晚上 6 点半在餐厅见囉!
- Okay, I'll see you then.
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- 怎麼啦?Larry,出了什麼事儿啊?
- I lost my keys when I went to play basketball today. Now, I'm really up a creek.
- 你把钥匙弄丢了?哎呀,那可真是麻烦了.不过,这跟 a creek 有什麼关係啊? Creek 那不就是小溪吗?
- If someone is "up a creek" it means that he or she is stuck in a bad situation without an obvious solution.
- 哦~,我懂了, up a creek 就是说一个人碰上难题,而且还没有办法来解决.也就是我们中文裡说的「陷入困境」.唉,你啊现在真的是碰上大难题了.那你打算怎麼办呢?
- I don't know. I can't get into my apartment or my car without my keys.
- 对喔,你没有钥匙就进不了家,也进不了你的车,那你能不能打电话问你房东,或许他有多一把钥匙啊。
- My landlord is out of town for the weekend, so I'm up a creek until he gets back on Monday.
- 什麼?你的房东出远门,要到星期一才会回来?那可麻烦了.也许你可以找个锁匠来开锁啊?
- I think that might be my only solution, but it's going to be expensive.
- 我知道,请锁匠来开锁啊,可能要花一点钱,可是那总比你一个週末被关在家门外,不得其门而入要好吧?
- Yeah, you're right. I have no idea what to do about my car keys, though. They're a little bit more difficult to replace.
- 不好意思哦,我不开车,所以不知道上哪儿能找到新的车钥匙.看来啊你真是 up a creek,陷入困境了。
- ………………………………………………………………………………
- 今天李华学到了两个常用语.第一个是: whatever floats your boat,意思就是「你爱干什麼就干什麼」.另一个常用语是: up a creek,这是「形容一个人陷入困境」。